Makes: Approximately 70ml.
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Cook time: 45 minutes.
- 5 cups filtered water.
- 1/2 cup Skinny Sugar Raw (brown packet).
- 10 cm piece fresh ginger, sliced thinly.
- 2 cinnamon sticks.
- 3 star anise.
- 6 cardamon pods, cracked open.
- 2 tsp whole cloves.
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon.
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg.
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt.
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder.
- pinch cayenne pepper.
- 4 black tea bags.
- Place all the ingredients into a medium sized pan and bring to the boil.
- When the mixture starts to boil, turn the heat down and let it simmer for around 30 minutes or so – totally cooking time should be about 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and place the tea bags in.
- When the syrup is cool enough to handle, strain it through a piece of muslin or fine sieve. Pour the chai syrup into a bottle, seal and store in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
- The leftover spices can be used to make a second batch of chai syrup, simply add them to another 5 cups of water and 1/2 cup of Skinny Sugar Raw. If it looks like you lost a lot of the ground spices in the sieving process simply add some more of these, and follow the cooking instructions above.